Two thousand twenty one.
2020 was a trying year filled with unprecedented twists and turns that were very much out of our control. As we enter into a brand new year, may we recognize all that we have to be thankful for, and give ourselves credit for getting through such difficult times. We made it!
Here are a few 2021 tips pertaining to ASCs. Comment down below if you have any questions!
- Start running your facility based upon “Metrics” (A method of measuring something or the results obtained from this). Far too often, we keep doing the same thing and getting the same results (this is the definition of “insanity” by the way). Almost all of the software packages hospitals and ASCs use have “metrics” you can actually use to grade yourself. Similar, by the way, to benchmarks – but more scientific sounding. You will sound smarter if you tell your surgeons you are looking at their “metrics.” Try it out this year!
- Try something completely different at your facility. For example, start serving staff lunch one day a week. 2020 taught us we all need one another more than we think - a little mid-week pick me up could do wonders for staff morale.
- Start planning your Christmas party now – with 12 months of planning it will be incredible!
- Let anesthesia know the “hoarding” must stop. Then just laugh – as if you could change that!
- Pay more attention to your sterile processing department. It needs it – believe me! Listen to what the staff has to say – you really will learn something you didn’t know or understand.
- Start preparing for your next CMS or State survey ahead of time.
- Make it a point to go to a National conference this year. If it's online - even easier! Involve as many staff members as you can and let loose. Attending the lectures is okay, but the real fun is getting a chance in any giveaways or prize raffles :)
- Check out the new 2021 Medicare ASC and Hospital facility fee reimbursement rates. Really interesting stuff that will definitely impact your facility.
- Facebook is out and blasé’ - Set up an Instagram account instead. It is fun and a great way to share your facility – both in seriousness and in fun.
- Post your prices on your website. It can be enlightening (unless you are really really expensive – then, not a good idea.)
- Take an adult education course at a local community college. They are cheap and a great diversification from the day to day of surgery.
Take care this year. Your hard work and dedication continues to amaze us all, especially in the wake of such an eventful and scary 2020. Enjoy your holiday season, take a deep breath, and remember how appreciated you are as we move into 2021. Cheers!
Earnhart & Associates is a consulting firm specializing in all aspects of outpatient surgery development and management. Earnhart & Associates can be reached at their mailing address at 5114 Balcones Woods Drive, Suite 307-203, Austin, TX 78759.